Be it in the professional sector or in your personal life, everywhere communication is the ultimatum. The more you can make your thoughts and ideas understandable to the people in front of you, the more successful you are. Those successful leaders that we have around us were all great communicators.
Types of communication
There are three different methods of communication. They are as follows:
Communication can be delivered by one and received by another face to face, via phone, computer, TV or any other medium. On the other hand, non-verbal communication is passed on through body language gestures, eye contact and the like. Besides, there are visual and written communications well.
Communicating verbally not only means by speech. It includes little gestures, body language, and eye-contact too. You should be able to speak well using meaning words, sentences, sounds and correct pronunciation. Your ultimate aim should be to make your opponent understand your message.
Along with your verbal speech your body language should be in sync. Both the things when used effectively and at the right time will make you easily understandable to others. Also, the eye-contact makes you likeable. It grows interest toward you in the mind of the receiver.
How can you develop good communication skills?
Follow these tips for good communication:
First tip: Understand the basics of communication skills
- Firstly, you have to know what communication is. More than just a process, it is a mechanism.
- Gather that courage to speak out what you think. You have to have a good level of confidence to deliver your speech.
- For developing a good level of communication skill, practicing is must. Begin with small interactions. You can practice by standing in front of the mirror as well.
Second tip: Engage your audience
- Making eye contact is a must. When you look into the eyes of the other person, he or she feels that you are interested to talk to him or her. A great technique of making eye contact is to consciously look into the eye of a listener and then move to another eye.
- Do not talk like a doll. Use gestures. Be it small or little loud at times, gestures make your whole body involve in the communication.
- Avoid mixing up messages. Make sure that while talking, your words, gestures and facial expression should be in one line.
- Ensure that you have correct body language. The appropriate posture tells so much about a person’s personality.
- The attitude that you have while communicating leaves a huge impact upon the listener. Be honest, positive, sincere, serious, and respectful while engaging in a communication.
- Along with speaking, listening is another good habit that you should inculcate. Only blabbering will not make you a good communicator. You need to listen too.
Third tip: Using right words
- You need to very clear with your speech. Avoid stuttering or fumbling.
- Make correct pronunciation of every word.
- Every kind of conversation has some specific words. Try to use the right word at the right time.